• AnuarAnuar December 2011
    Hi Bros and Sis,

Just wondering if you have seen or encounter something similar. I am referring to holes in the fin, pictured below for ease of reference. I have even seen such occurence on new imports, especially bigger ones. I read somewhere that the cause is firefly larvae, though I don't actually understand what it meant. I dont dare cut the holes fearing permanent damage but my eyes are unfortunately now drawn to these holes rather than the koi, even though they are tiny. Unfortunately also this happens to my fav kohaku - it has been a while actually, and it doesnt heal on its own.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/5192/Holes.jpg

Your comments are much appreciated.
    Attachments
    Holes.jpg 178K
  • khongkhong December 2011
    Hi,

1 of my koi not only have a "hole" like yours, but the 4th and 5th bone of the fin was not join together. (I meant there was no transparent fin between the 4th and 5th bone)

After few weeks, it heal by itself.Hope yours will heal soon.
    Thank you Bro Khong.

Actually I have waited for > 2 months after spotting the holes, there is no sign of growth at all.

I will consider removing the thin flesh...

Regards.
  • WinlimWinlim December 2011
    Bro,

Very easy. Cut from the hole upwards. It should heal in 1 month. I have done it many times
  • JamesJames December 2011
    Bro Winston, u mean cut downwards it won't heal??
    Bro James

Ok ok. From the top, cut towards the hole. Stop when reach the hole, scrape around the hole a little to make raw. Guarantee heal
    Actually, some winner kois in All Japan also have these holes in the dorsal. Not sure if it is even considered a defect...
    Thanks Bro Winlim for the tips. Will try it, actually there are more holes towards the back of the dorsal fin which does not show from the photo I posted.

Bro James, they are eyesores... especially our eyes are conditioned to look for these imperfections... have not seen them on the Japanese top kois, but saw on a couple of expensive ones locally.
    Bro Anuar, most of the holes I have seen before are at the end of the dorsal fin rather than at the beginning. That's perhaps why you feel more of an eye sore when finding them at the beginning of the dorsal.
  • lautslauts December 2011
    Bro Winlim ,

Is scraping around the fin hole important? it will open up more wounds for possible infection ?

I too have quite a few, above 60cm, having this issue but towards the end , they don't heal by itself. I do not notice them on smaller kois.

ts
    Yes, it is important. This will make a wound around the hole and as it cures it will close up. But just scrape it a little. It works, I just did it to one of my 70cm koi last month. It has cured completely.
    Bro Winlim,

Did you apply any antiseptic on the area after the cut?

Thanks.
    Nope. Actually the is no blood when cut. Incidentally, the koi that I cut is the one in my avatar

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership