Author Topic: How many balas?  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Guppyguy

• Common Sense...It's a Good Thing.
  • Gold Gourami
  • I used to sleep at night...then I got into fish...
How many balas?
« on: November 12, 2011, 07:50:17 PM »
How many bala sharks would do well in a 125 gallon aquarium? What else is big enough(besides oscars or cichlids) to avoid being eaten? This is just one of those "what if" questions, but if you don't ask, you don't know. Any other comments? Go ahead, I'm all eyes. :hihi:
A wise author once said, "Adversity makes men. Prosperity makes monsters." I said, "Can't I just speak with a bloody British accent and move on?!?"

Offline LittlePuff

• The "mod who doesn't mince words"
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Discus
Re: How many balas?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 08:22:39 AM »
Is it a long or a tall?
90gal Future piranha tank.
55gal 1 molly, and chocolate chip starfish (possible    Malawi cichlid tank)

Offline Guppyguy

• Gold Gourami
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 09:49:24 AM »
Long. I don't use gallons tall, I always assume the fish I get like to swim horizontally instead of going up & down.
A wise author once said, "Adversity makes men. Prosperity makes monsters." I said, "Can't I just speak with a bloody British accent and move on?!?"

Offline LittlePuff

• The "mod who doesn't mince words"
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Discus
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 08:14:45 AM »
You could definitely get a decent school out of them. I'd say 5.
90gal Future piranha tank.
55gal 1 molly, and chocolate chip starfish (possible    Malawi cichlid tank)

Offline Guppyguy

• Gold Gourami
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 07:08:22 AM »
Five would probably be minimum for a school of balas. I say no absolutely NO LESS than three balas, considering they do school. 200 gallon-eight or nine balas?

Offline ShieldWolf

• It never troubles a wolf how many sheep there are.
  • Forum Staff
  • Diamond Discus
  • Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 05:31:40 PM »
Ok very late to the party here but a few comments to add. A 6'foot tank as most 125gs are, would be a good start to begin growing out the balas but even then in my opinion would be too small once they fully mature.
They grow up to a foot long or more & are very fast swimmers who spook very easily. They have been known to shoot across a tank when startled & slam into the opposite side.This coupled with the fact that they can jump out of the water in the process makes it hard to keep in a covered tank.
I love these fish & have had them in the past in a 125g but now feel they should be kept, if at all, in something way way larger.

Ever notice in the Bible, whenever God needed to punish someone,make an example or needed a killing, he sent an angel? Ever wonder what a creature like that must be like? An existence spent praising your God, but always with 1 wing dipped in blood. Would you really want to see an angel?