When I set the tank up, I added some squeezings from my 38 gallon's canister filter to it along with some of the ceramic media.
What has me puzzled is the constant reading on ammonia and nitrates. If the cycle was successful, the ammonia should read zero. If it wasn't, then what would cause readable NitrAte levels? I don't think I was overfeeding, since I only put in a bit of flake food or one sinking pellet per feeding.
At the moment, it's just the corys in there. By Sunday morning, only two of the endlers were still alive and one of those was hiding behind the driftwood. I gave in and netted them and moved them to the 20 gallon. I had to go to the stables, so I didn't acclimate them as long as I'd have liked. They only got about 30 minutes of drip before being let loose among the platys. When I got home in the evening the larger one who'd been hiding earlier had died. The one remaining endler seems okay and actually hangs around with two of the platys. I guess he likes big women.
I dunno what it is about this tank. Granted, I've only cycled two tanks before, but this one just seems to be messed up somehow. I really want to get it stable. I feel bad about the endlers dying and want to make it a good home for the corys and some new residents.