Author Topic: New shipping regulations on snails  (Read 16325 times)

Lisie

Re: New shipping regulations on snails
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 10:40:09 AM »
Okay, in all this... I'm still confused, lol. If I wanted to ship pomacea bridgesii snails, would I need a permit? What about clutches?

Offline Mollielover

• The Golden Rule Mod, do unto others.....
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Discus
  • Who dares to teach must never cease to learn.
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 12:09:08 PM »
Hopefully Dorn will see this, I believe she has all of her permits.  I think if you ship in the state where you live you don't need a permit but if you are shipping state to state you need one for each state.  I think you can still ship clutches without a permit. :)

AiWen

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 01:56:28 PM »
Will they fine you if you ship without a permit?  I mean can't you pretend that you don't know the regulation if anything happens?  lol.

Offline Mollielover

• The Golden Rule Mod, do unto others.....
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Discus
  • Who dares to teach must never cease to learn.
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 02:54:49 PM »
I don't think I would risk it I think the fines are pretty heafty.  I also belive it's free to apply for the permits.

dorn27

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 03:12:37 PM »
Yes, you need a permit.  Don't pretend you don't know, because they don't care.  Its a nasty fine, and they are taking this extreme measures because this is a serious problem.  Canas are to the point in many states, where we may loose all aquatic plant life and a lot of aquatic animal life from ammonia/NitrIte/NitrAte issues from overpopulation of canas.  Since canas and brigs are so closely related, permits are required to accompany all boxes. They will distory stock and hunt you down if they find a box without a permit.

The permits are free, but do take some time and effort to aquire.   Expect at least a week turn around (up to 6 but none of mine ever took more than 14 days) to recieve electronic permits, you print copies as needed.  You will need one for each state, excluding Hawaii and the state you live in.  FL and gulf states as well as CA may also be denied because of local laws, but mine were all approved last summer.

Go here  http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/

Select I want to.... register for permits on the right of the screen.  You will need to be 18 (or have a parent register.)  This will give you level 1 access to the site.  To get a permit/s, you need level 2 access.  To get level 2 access you must go to a local USDA office in person with a state ID.  There an agent will take your id, copy it, and clear you for level 2 access.  Within 48 hours from being cleared, you must register a new secure password with the site. All these directions will be emailed to you when you request level 2 access after registering level 1 on the site.

Following this you must complete the permit application.  A tip, use the "copy" feature and then just change the state. I heard they are working on a "all states" version, but I haven't heard word.  Another tip, place "commercial resale no breeding involved", then you only need the state in the recieving address, instead of a full address.

Lisie

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 04:08:48 PM »
Wow, dorn, thank you so much for all that info! I don't even have snails breeding yet, but I'd really like to get into them, so I figured I might as well get started now, lol. Does this license need to be renewed every year, or is it good forever?

dorn27

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 04:16:01 PM »
They are good for 3 years.  At least mine don't expire until 09, and they were issued in '06.

Lisie

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2007, 04:24:18 PM »
Alrighty, thanks again! :)

Lisie

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2007, 04:54:34 PM »
Alright, finished my level 1... the USDA office here is pretty much right across the street so I'll do that on Tuesday, and start with all the applications... eek.

dorn27

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 12:29:33 PM »
Good luck!  Email their help department if you get stuck, they are surprisingly helpful.

Please Visit Our Sponsor - Omega Sea