Author Topic: Betta Jars  (Read 7709 times)

Offline ruthcatrin

• Diamond Discus
Betta Jars
« on: July 23, 2005, 08:08:09 PM »
For everyone who breeds bettas, what do you use for your jars and where do you get them from?  What size are they? etc and etc!  

DaSauce

Re:Betta Jars
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 08:10:44 PM »
i use 99 cent 1 gal buckets to jar the fry :) any 99 cent store should sell them :)

ZenMeBaby

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 11:47:03 PM »
I told my boyfriend to figure up something that will let me house around 20 fish as easily and cheaply as possible.

His first suggestion was to use those semi-disposable tupperware containers.  They're cheap and they have lids.  He said he could drill them and plug the side near the bottom so I could just get a bucket, prepare some water, unplug a tank, let all but half an inch drain into a bucket and then immediately fill it up.  That way I don't have to go through the hassle of removing the fish.  He also said he could probably work something out that connected all the containers through holes drilled through the bottom half of the containers so that the wastes should slowly make their way down the line of containers into the filter eliminating the need for frequent siphoning.

Then we went to a petstore and they had hideous 3 way Betta tanks that let you house 3 Bettas in about a half a gallon of water.  He suggested he could drill those for circulation and figure a way to attach them to the sides of tanks.  They were like $5 each and we'll probably go get some of those this week and keep them in the growout tank.  I've heard that fry can freak out if you seperate them too suddenly and using those as barracks is cheap and still lets them be by their siblings.

He's still thinking about it.  I'm sick of thinking of the best way to house these fish so I dumped that part of the project on him this morning.

morbius18

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 05:39:08 AM »
The best thing to use are the beanie baby containers, just do a search for them on google or here (there were other threads about where to get these from).  I use these, they hold around a half of a gallon of water, which is perfect for fry, and they can see other fish when they are next to each other.  The canning jars are kinda hard to see through, but also work as well.  I use the canning jars until the fry are large enough to eat small pellet food, then move them into the beanie containers.

Offline ruthcatrin

• Diamond Discus
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 09:32:22 AM »
Hm, found several links to the beanie baby cases, those would definetly work, was also looking at these:  http://majesticbettas.com/supplyshop/jvbettacup.htm

Offline Butterfly

• Digital Betta Painter
  • Diamond Discus
  • The One, the Only - Butterfly!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 10:52:36 AM »
I'd definatly want to go with something that's at least a gallon for putting individual fry in. 1/2 gallon is just too smal in my honest opinion. The fry themselves might be small, but they need lots of space to grow. If you put them into a little 32 ounce cup, it'll stunt their growth, meaning it'll take twice or three times as long for them to get sellable size and form. Not to mention 1/2 gallon and under means changing the water on an almost daily basis.

I'd suggest going to local eaters and grocery stores and asking them if they have any 1 gallon leftover pickle, olive or whatever jars, and if they'd be wiling to give them to you either for free, or for a small price. That way the're cheap, and all you'd have to do is give them a good washing and disinfecting. If you don't feel right going t do something like that, try to find 1 gallon mason jars, or if you're really going for cheap equipment, buy bulk tupperware conatiners at you local dollar store, or see if you can find some at like a wal-mart. Those work perfectly fine and are a great replacement.

Offline ruthcatrin

• Diamond Discus
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 07:42:24 PM »
My first biggest problem is money yes, but the 2nd is space, I simply don't have space for 50 to 100 or more 1g jars, at least at the moment.  I may be able to remedy some of the space problem, but not all of it.

Gremmy

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 11:51:36 PM »
Bettatalk recommends at least 1/4gal if you have a large spawn and are short on space, and otherwise 1/2gal (which is my personal minimum for juveniles). You could try large pickle jars too.

If you're caught up on space, but have a wall space of some kind, I would suggest building a shelving system. It would have to be adjusted to be able to handle the weight of the water, but it would definitely help in a small space.

Offline Butterfly

• Digital Betta Painter
  • Diamond Discus
  • The One, the Only - Butterfly!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 05:40:04 AM »
Bettatalk recommends at least 1/4gal if you have a large spawn and are short on space, and otherwise 1/2gal

The thing about this is, Faith at Bettatalk has a specialy-made drip system that is always keeping the water in the tanks filtered and uber-clean. Unfortunatly most of us here don't have drip systems, so putting juvies in continers as small as those would mean daily, if not twice daily changes (because of all the feedings and leftover nasties). That in itself would be a heck of a job - especially if you've got a lot of those containers to clean out.

Offline ruthcatrin

• Diamond Discus
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 09:32:53 AM »
True on the cleaning side of it, I'm in an apt, so I'm not sure on the wall shelving, but I could probly do bookcases or freestanding shelving, its still a spaace issue till i can get the "empty" bedroom actually empty (which isnt' likely to happen with in the next month at least just because of time constraints!).  With 1/2g jars I could push back cleanings to every other day, and so do half one day and half hte other.  

The other question is how do I keep so many jars the right temp?  It gets REALLY cold here in the winter (below freezing is normal, below 0F not uncommon), and to save on heating costs I don't normally heat my apt above 65 in the winter.  With the smaller jars I was thinking I could set them into one of the plastic underbed storage containers, fill that with water and a heater.  Not sure if that would work with the larger jars or not.  

These are things that I'm trying to get settled BEFORE I start any actual breeding!

Please Visit Our Sponsor - Omega Sea